1. What were the origins of WWI?
2. In what ways did Russia change from 1917 to 1938?
3. What were the origins of the German Third Reich?
4. Both the New Left and the New Right challenged the status quo of the post-WWII era. Using the Port Huron Statement for the New Left and the speeches of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher for the New Right, reconstruct the values and objectives of the New Left and New Right. In what ways did they challenge the status quo? What alternatives did they propose?
5. In what ways has the role of the state expanded in Western Europe and the United States in the 20th century? Why has the role of the state expanded? Drawing upon Franklin D. Roosevelt's Inaugural Address and the 1945 Labour Party Platform, explain the objectives and rationale for expanding the role of the state.
1. Has the United States been an "exceptional" (unique) civilization? Your answer should include specific examples of similarities and differences between the United States and Europe from the 17th century to the present.
2. Write an essay that analyzes the origins and evolution of Socialism, in theory and practice, from its beginnings in 19th century through the post-WWII era.
3. Write an essay that analyzes the origins and evolution of Liberalism, in theory and practice, from its beginnings in the 17th century through the emergence of the welfare state in the 20th century.